Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Dead Ever After

Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris

Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood book # 13) by Charlaine Harris

The last book in the series, for sure!  (But somehow I doubt that.)

Have I really read all 13 of these books?  How'd that happen?

There's no reason to write a full review of this book.  I you're picking up #13, there's nothing I need to reshash or detail...

I came to Sookie through the HBO series True Blood, which is based on these Southern Gothic Vampire novels.  The show was initially intriguing and I'm one of those people who's obsessive about reading source material so I can have a deeper understanding of what  a show's all about.  Add to that fact that my wife is exactly the same as me when it comes to this, and I got the first 7 books in the series soon after the series started and blew threw them quickly my wife and I discussing the miniutiae of Sookie Stackhouse's supernatural world, and her adventures with great pleasure. 

True Blood took sharp turns away from the source material long ago, and I can alternately enjoy, love and truly loathe the direction of this show from year to year all on its own merits without compromising my devoted interest in what happens to Sookie in Harris' books.  The books also vary in quality and their level of entertainment, but that's how it goes with really good gossip; which is how the books read. So, I kept reading these books knowing something juicy would come up eventually.  Charlaine Harris really knows how to lay out hints and teasers throughout her stories to keep you turning pages waiting for Sookie's next choice in supernatural lovers, or finding out who's setting out to kill her, and what new supernatural creature will make an appearance to wreak havoc.  Good stuff.

The last book in the series disappointed, I had my own ideas about what I wanted for Sookie at the end, but honestly, this is Charlaine Harris' "last" ride, and true to form, her characters remained true to themselves and it all worked out for the best.  And more than that I could hope for, but I wasn't too upset, and glad to have been along with Sookie on the ride for the last 5 years.

My review:  Well worth it, if you're a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment